We took a super awesome road trip over Christmas so there hasn’t been much to say about farm work. We took our new truck through west Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and back through a bit of Oklahoma. It did pretty well until we were in Colorado for several days and the temperature did not rise above freezing. It did not start at all. Then Andrew discovered a built in block heater – bless you, Ford! We got to see many many members of my side of the family and the girls got completely spoiled. When we arrived back in Texas we were a little fatter, a whole lot more rested, and raring to tackle the next steps on preparing our land so we can live there!
We have four more projects to complete before we can pull the fifth wheel to the farm.
I think I will do a separate post on the storm shelter because it’s going to be a big ole project and we’ve done a lot of revisions on its design.
Andrew thinks he can do most of the work for the septic system. Our county allows the owner of the land to do the work as long as they approve the design. That will save us a lot of money, and plus he’ll get to rent and operate a backhoe, and that’s just fun.
We were going to pour the foundation for the barn and add about 20′ for the fifth wheel to rest on, but it looks like the barn foundation is going to be wayyyyy more expensive than we anticipated. So we will likely do a smaller pour for the fifth wheel to sit on and save our pennies for the barn foundation.
Now for something I’m super excited about: My first big garden! I wanted to do a lasagna bed in the fall to plant in come spring, but that requires running water, which we didn’t have until recently. I didn’t really know what else to do, though. The soil is fairly clayey and I didn’t want to spend a lot of time tilling and amending the existing clay just to end up with barely-adequate soil for growing in.
Then someone on a Facebook gardening page introduced me to the idea of hugelkultur. It’s a German word for mound garden. You pile logs/sticks/branches on the ground, pile grass clipping and leaves and organic matter on top of the pile, and cover that with soil. Well we have all of that in abundance! I was very excited to be able to use the trash brush piles and pile of sticky dirt that was left over from the driveway grading project. We haven’t started constructing them yet. I know that’s going to be a muscle-building project for sure. But I’m still super excited and today I got out all my seeds to look through them. We’re going to need a LOT of garden space…