Last Friday was such an exciting day! It was the day that the pieces for our steel building were coming, so we rented a forklift and hired a driver to help us move the containers onto their piers on the same day.
Here they are prior to moving. The one on the left is my MIL’s (it went on the piers); the one in the middle is our current storage container; and the one on the right is the 20′ short container that Andrew converted into his office a couple years ago. Our container that went on the piers was behind this arrangement. We will be moving our stuff out of the orange container into the building and selling the orange one soon.
Here is the first one on the move. The cows next door were fascinated (I realized later it was because the truck that pulled the forklift out to the property looks like their feed truck).
After a bit of finagling with the southwest corner, the first container was up on its foundation and all four corners locked in place.
As we were moving the second container, the truck with the barn showed up!
The forklift did a great job unloading the truck. The building company told us to estimate 4 hours for unloading and it was done in less than two.
And then we hit a snag. The forklift was too short to lift the final container up by about a foot!
The driver tried piloting the container in from the north side of the building since it is closer to the ground. The second story container HAS to go on the south end, though, since that’s where Andrew had our welding guy weld extra supports. Right after I took this picture the forklift got stuck in mud.
I couldn’t watch anymore. I went down to my zen place – the garden – and covered the entire second bed with my nice dirt. I never doubted that Andrew could pull it off…I just didn’t want to watch it all happen.
And there he is! He did it! The top container is currently bolted down to the bottom two, plus it’s held on with chains. As soon as our welder can come back out, he will weld the top container to the bottom containers on all four corners and then construction will be done!
We had curious onlookers stop by and ask what was going on. That was funny.
Also, the bottom container’s corner is painted with the proper colors. The white is the primer; the containers will eventually (hopefully soon) be painted the field green color with the chocolate brown trim. It will definitely be less of a sore thumb then.
Our first building! It’s done!